Planning Research at King's is focussed around domain-independent planning. Planning is an active research area within the broader field of Artificial Intelligence, and has strong links with scheduling and optimisation research. The primary problem is the identification of sequences of actions which will achieve specified goals from specified initial conditions. Domain-independent planning, which is concerned with the fundamental principles of planning as an activity, typically concentrating on search techniques, search control techniques and the representation and treatment, within a planning problem, of uncertainty, non-determinism, resources, time, functional interdependence and other issues. Planning has been successfully applied to a range of fielded industrial applications and we actively seek new industrial problems to which planning could be applied.
Planning Activities At King's
The planning group meets weekly. The meetings are usually a lively discussion of current work within and outside the group. Visitors are welcome and we are glad to host seminars and other meetings.
We are (and have been) involved in a variety of external events and activities.
- Maria Fox is Co-Chair (with Brian Williams) of the ICAPS Special Track on Continuous Planning, ICAPS 2012
- Maria Fox is Co-Editor with Manuela Veloso and Eric Horvitz of the World Wide AI column of AI Magazine
- Andrew Coles and Amanda Coles are co-chairs of the Workshop on the International Planning Competition at ICAPS 2012
- Amanda Coles, Andrew Coles, Maria Fox, Derek Long were awarded Runner-up in the Temporal Track of the 2011 International Planning Competition, for the planner POPF.
- Daniele Magazzeni is PhD Thesis Summaries editor for AI Communications
- Amanda Coles and Andrew Coles, with J. Benton (Arizona State University) won 'Best Student Paper' at ICAPS 2012
- Maria Fox is Editor-in-Chief of AI Communications, 2011-continuing
- Andrew Coles gave an invited tutorial at the 2011 Austrian Robotics Workshop
- Amanda Coles is Publicity Co-Chair for ICAPS 2013 in Rome
- Andrew Coles is Tutorial Chair for ICAPS 2014
- Amanda Coles is Workshop Chair for ICAPS 2014
- Andrew Coles and Amanda Coles were co-organisers with Sergio Jiménez Celorrio of the Learning Track of the 2011 International Planning Competition
- Maria Fox is a member of the Executive Council of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) for the period 2010-2013.
- Maria Fox is Survey Editor and a member of the Advisory Board for Journal of AI Research.
- Maria Fox is on the Editorial Board for AI Journal.
- Derek Long is chair of the UK Planning and Scheduling SIG, which meets annually
- Maria Fox is a member of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) college since 2001.
A Selection of Past Activities
- Maria Fox was Program co-chair (with David Poole) of AAAI 2010.
- Andrew Coles and Amanda Coles were on the organising committee of the Workshop on Planning and Learning, ICAPS 2009
- Maria Fox was an invited speaker at the International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS), 2009
- Derek Long was an Associate Editor for Journal of AI Research.
- Maria Fox and Sylvie Thiebaux are co-editors of a special issue of AI Journal on recent advances in planning.
- Maria Fox was conference co-chair for ICAPS07.
- Derek Long was programme co-chair for ICAPS06
- Derek and Maria organised the 3rd International Planning Competition (2002).
- Derek Long was invited keynote speaker at SARA'02.
- Derek Long was a speaker at the 2000 and 2009 International Planning Summer Schools.
- Derek Long was a member of the ICAPS Council (2006-2012)
- Maria Fox co-chaired (with Alfonso Gerevini) the 1st International Summer School on Planning, Sept. 28th-Oct. 1st, 2000.